Real Estate Exemptions

Real Estate Exemptions

 Real Estate Reduction for Elderly and Disabled

Are you eligible for credit on your Real Estate taxes? 2024

You may be able to get a reduction on your 2024 Real Estate taxes if you can meet all of the requirements below:

1. The applicant must be a Carroll County resident and live in the dwelling on which exemption is being applied for. The applicant must be age 65 by December 31, 2023 or 100% permanently and totally disabled if not age 65. A dwelling jointly held by husband and wife may qualify if either spouse is age 65 or older or is 100% permanently and totally disabled. Life Estate in property does qualify according to opinion from the Attorney General.

2. Mobile Homes will only qualify for exemption provided you own the land on which it sits.

3. Have no more than $40,000 per year income. All income from every source counts; including income from other people living in your household (excluding $6,000), Social Security, Wages, Interest, Disability, Retirement Income, Etc.

4. Net Worth cannot exceed $125,000, including Real Estate, Personal Property, Vehicles, Savings, Cash, etc. House and up to one acre are not included.

5. Must have paid balance of 2023 taxes on or before December 5, 2023 in order to receive a reduction on taxes for 2024.

6. Exemption is on 100% of Residence and one acre. (Maximum relief amount is $250.00).

The above qualifications are set by the local Board of Supervisors and can only be changed by an ordinance created by the Board.

If you meet the above requirements, come by the Commissioner of the Revenue Office to apply. Supporting documentation for income and net worth must be provided.

Examples of documentation needed:

Originals or photocopies of:

*End of the year statements of income;

*End of the year checking and savings account statements;

*End of the year statements showing values of stocks, bonds owned;

Proof of Disability is required for those under 65 years of age only. Proof accepted; copy of Social Security Administration awards letter, Railroad Retirement Board, Department of Veterans Affairs or signed affidavits by two licensed medical doctors to the effect that such person is 100% permanently and totally disabled.

The Commissioner of the Revenue office is located in the Carroll County Governmental Center, 605-7 Pine Street, Hillsville, VA 24343. Office Hours: 8:30 am 4:30 pm Monday - Friday Telephone (276) 730-3080 or (276) 236-8008. NO APPLICATIONS CAN BE PROCESSED AFTER MARCH 1.




          Veteran must be 100% service-connected, permanently and totally disabled.

Per Attorney General opinion number 11-061, issued July 15, 2011, if the veteran has a service connected permanent and total disability and they are being paid at the 100% rate because they are unemployable, they are eligible for the tax exemption even if their combined service connected rating is less than 100%.

          Residence must be owned by and the primary residence of the Veteran (proof may be requested).

            Spouse (if joint owner) must also be identified.

Surviving Spouse (if applicable) must not be remarried and must continue to reside in primary residence.  The death of the Veteran must have occurred on or after January 1, 2011.



Certification from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs of having a 100% service-connected, permanent, and total disability.

For Surviving Spouse, a copy of the Veteran’s death certificate showing death occurred on or after January 1, 2011.           



Code of Virginia

RE: §58.1-3219.5 and §58.1-3219.6

The General Assembly exempted from taxation the real property, including the joint real property of husband and wife, of any Veteran who has been rated by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs or its successor agency pursuant to federal law to have a 100% service-connected, permanent and total disability, and who occupies the real property as his/her primary place of residence. This legislation applies to tax years beginning on or after January 1, 2011.

The Veteran shall only be required to re-file the information if the Veteran’s primary residence changes.

100% relief applies to one acre and the primary dwelling.

The Veteran or Surviving Spouse claiming the exemption must file an application, including required documentation, with the Commissioner of the Revenue of the locality in which the real property is located.