Fines & Costs

Fines & Costs

Payment of Fines & Costs

By Internet

  • Payments can now be made on the internet for Circuit Court fines and costs.
  • Any payment for General District / Traffic Court will be rejected or refunded and will not excuse from paying late in General District Court.
  • You will need your bank account and routing number, which can be found on a check.
  • There is no fee for this service.
  • All Circuit Court case numbers will contain 12 digits, and begin with a “CR” (i.e. CR99000111-00).
  • If you do not know you case number, call (276) 730-3070.

By Mail

Payments sent by mail to:

  • Carroll County Circuit Court Clerk’s Office
    P. O. Box 218
    Hillsville, VA  24343

You must identify the account (case number and defendant name) to which payment should be credited. This information is important if there are multiple accounts for the same defendant.

In Person

Payments are made in person at the Carroll County Circuit Court Clerk's Office.

A 4% fee applies to all credit card payments made in the office.

Phone payments are not accepted.

Fines and/or court costs are assessed against individuals convicted of a felony, misdemeanor or traffic infraction. Fines and court costs are due when imposed unless the defendant enters into a payment plan agreement approved by the court.  Payment plans are signed in the Clerk’s Office.

Judgment for the amount of fines and costs is entered against the defendant and interest accrues on the balance due date. Judgments are docketed in the Judgment Lien Docket Book in the Clerk’s Office.

Individuals who do not promptly pay fines and court costs when due may be subject to the following:

  • Unpaid fines and court costs are reported to the Department of Taxation for Set-off Debt Collection.
    • After proper notice, any tax refund or lottery proceeds due the defendant will be sent to the Clerk's Office to pay off the debt.
  • Unpaid fines and court costs are reported to the Department of Taxation, which acts as debt collector for the Circuit Court.
  • Notice of any unpaid fines and/or court costs is sent to the Department of Motor Vehicles, which will suspend the defendant's operator's license if payment is not made